Edmonton Programs and Services
Women’s Essential Skills Training (WEST) Program
MCG’s Women’s Essential Skills Training (WEST) program supports women with barriers and challenges to employment through the development of their foundational Skills for Success, Employability (interpersonal) and Employment (job search/retention) skills and knowledge. In addition, WEST provides individualized support to address barriers/challenges and connects the participant to resources in their home communities. WEST has been designed using the four E approach: Engage, Educate, Empower and Enrich participants to reach their full potential in work, life, and community.
This program offers each participant:
- Pre and Post Training Skills Assessments
- Individualized Action Plans
- Living Allowance
- One-to-One Skills Development Training via Video Conferencing
- On-going Wrap-Around Supports
- Connections to Community Resources
- 90 Days of Additional Support Upon Completion of the Action Plan
- unemployed and underemployed and legally entitled to work in Canada
- have one or more barriers that impact your ability to find/keep employment
- willing to address your barriers and seek employment or further training upon completion
- identify as being from one or more of the following groups:
- racialized women, visible minority, and/or Indigenous women
- women with disabilities
- women from the LGBTQ2 community, and
- women with prolonged detachment from the labour force
- A resident of the following communities or surrounding rural areas: Saskatoon, Regina, Prince Albert, Moose Jaw, North Battleford, Swift Current, Lloydminster, Yorkton, Estevan, Edmonton, Fort Saskatchewan, Beaumont, Sherwood Park, Devon, Leduc, Ponoka, Red Deer, and First Nations within Treaty 4, 6,7, 8 and 10 areas. MCG will also offer WEST virtually to women from the target groups currently residing in correctional and remand centres.
WEST focuses on providing 1:1 support and training, allowing each participant:
- the opportunity to define their career goals in a realistic way
- to have increased levels of engagement through one-on-one feedback and encouragement
- a safe environment to work through challenges and gain perspective
- increased personal awareness
- support improving or learning specific skills
Industries of Employment/Employers in Entry Level Positions:
- Retail/Customer Service
- Hospitality/ Restaurant
- Social Assistance
- Supply Chain
- Early Learning/ Childcare
- Warehouse Associate
- Accounting/ Booking Associate
- Animal Care Attendant
- Help Desk Technician
- Food Services Worker
- Installation Technician
- And many more!
Is this program the right option for me?
WEST may be a great option if you are an unemployed woman that struggles to find or keep employment due to one or more challenges/barriers and who could benefit from the development of foundational Skills for Success, interpersonal, and job search and retention skills.
Interested in learning more about our WEST Program? Fill out your information on the form below, and one of our career counselors will contact you within 24 business hours.
“The reason I joined MCG is that I felt lost. I couldn’t keep a job. I didn’t know how to handle work issues and I could never get a call back for an interview. When I joined, I had awful communication skills and didn’t know how to deal with conflict, nor could I even speak in front of a crowd. Since completing the 9 weeks in class, I am now able to confidently stand in front of a group of strangers and speak. I learned to deal with conflict in the workplace and I am overall more confident in my work ethics. MCG continuously encourages me to do my best, reach my goals and be the person I know I can become.”