Calgary Programs and Services
Alternatives to Careers in Energy
Alternatives to Careers in Energy (ACE)
Unemployed from the oil and gas industry and want to obtain employment in another sector? The ACE program provides training and support to transition into new opportunities.
Alternatives to Careers in Energy provides unemployed energy sector employees with employment preparation services and either employment placement or on-the-job training/paid work experience. Each client will develop a unique plan of action and will be supported as they access workplace preparation and career transition skills to best prepare them to transition into fulltime employment in an occupation outside of the energy sector utilizing the skills and experience gained in past employment roles.
This program offers each program participant:
- Development of an in-depth skills profile
- Individual training/action plans
- Support in “polishing/developing” job search skills based on current employer expectations
- Funding for obtaining short term training (e.g. first aid, H2S Alive, Confined Space)
- Job matching to employers hiring
- Paid Work Experience or On-The-Job Training
- Post-employment – job retention support
The Province of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support services and programs.
You may be eligible to enroll if you are:
- Resident of Alberta
- History of employment in any capacity within the oil and gas sector
- EI Client (or past EI Client within 5 years)
- Unemployed and legally entitled to work and train in Canada
- Ready, willing and able to participate in full-time employment
- Willing to gain skills and obtain employment in an occupation related to their experience and skills outside of the oil and gas sector
- Designed to help unemployed energy sector Albertans attach to the local employers
- Job search support and transition to employment skills development
- Practical, on-the-job training or paid work experience
- Employment placement
- Maximum duration of 26 weeks
- Ongoing support and guidance including after employment is obtained
- Offered at no cost
- Funded by the Province of Alberta in partnership with the Government of Canada.
Industries of Employment/Employers
- Information and Communication Technology
- Construction – residential/industrial
- Food Services/Hospitality
- Health Care
- Public Administration
Is this program the right option for me?
If you were previously employed in the oil and gas sector and are now unemployed and wanting to return to work full time and currently receiving or have received EI then ACE program may be the right choice for you.
Interested in learning more about our ACE Program? Fill out your information on the form below, and one of our career counselors will contact you within 24 business hours.