Edmonton Programs and Services
Winning Edge: Workplace Training
Winning Edge: Workplace Training is an MCG program that works in partnership with employers to provide unemployed Albertans with career training and work experience. Employers agree to train program participants and provide a paid work experience opportunity for a predetermined period of time. In most cases, the participants’ transition from contract to permanent employment with the employer upon successful completion of the program.
This program offers each program participant:
- Skill gap analysis
- Paid training to offset a skill gap or lack of formal training
- Access to employers
- Wage subsidy offered to employers during training
- Job placement
- Ongoing support
The Province of Alberta is working in partnership with the Government of Canada to provide employment support services and programs.ty Requirements
- Currently unemployed/underemployed
- Have employment skills that are easily transferable to other industries, but still need specific employer training
- Looking for full-time employment
- Designed to help industry professionals transition into new careers/industries
- An on-the-job training component
- Paid work experience placement component
- Offered at no cost
- Funded by the Province of Alberta is in partnership with the Government of Canada.
- Maximum of 26 weeks
Industries of Employment/Employers:
- Cleaning Services
- Business Solutions
- Home Care
- Accent Lighting Installer
- Medical Administration
- Office Administration
- Environmental Safety Consultant
- Home Cleaning Professional
- Support Desk Technician
- Warehouse Technician
- Support Worker
Is this program the right option for me?
If you are currently unemployed/underemployed and are looking to change careers/have easily industry-transferable employment skills, but need some workplace training, then WPT may be the right fit for you.
Interested in learning more about our Winning Edge – Workplace Training Program? Fill out your information on the form below, and one of our career counselors will contact you within 24 business hours.
“I was another casualty of the economic slowdown in Alberta. After being laid-off of my job as an appliance service tech I was finding it extremely difficult to land a full-time job and be able to balance my responsibilities as a single parent. Luckily one of my friends informed me of the good folks at MCG….I was feeling very desperate, running out of time on my EI and hadn’t had any success finding full-time work. I totally felt MCG truly understood what I was going through and I could tell they wanted to find something for me. I’ve been to other agencies, but MCG didn’t’ give me lip service; they were genuinely trying their best. I couldn’t have landed my new job as an Audio/Visual Tech without MCG’s help and the program the government offered through MCG. Thanks …you’re the best!”